This week we’re going to take a break from our NCLEX topics (don’t worry we plan on continuing them) to talk about Finals. Most colleges have their finals during the month of May – I know my daughter’s finals are next week. Today we’re going to talk a little about motivations and give some tips you might not have thought about.
I know you’re tired. You’re probably wondering if you can make it through the next few weeks. Good news, you can. I keep telling my daughter that all the work for the past four months or so boils down to this week. You just need to finish. Nursing students are a bit different. If this is your last semester of nursing school then you won’t get to take the summer off and the studying will just be starting… but that’s OK too because after that studying and the NCLEX test you’ll be done.
- Remind yourself why you’re going to school. When I was in nursing school I kept a picture of my Mom handy. She passed away when I was six, she was a nurse too and I dedicated my school years to here. Whenever I got down in the dumps I would take that picture out and remember why I was doing what I was doing. For you it might be that you want to provide for your family, send your kids to better colleges, pay off bills, you like to care for people… the list can go on. Write it down now, before you go on. Write down the reason why. Now post it where you can see it.
- When I was in boot camp, I had some horrible days. Sometimes it helps to picture what you’ll be doing when it’s over. Picture yourself working – wherever that you have decided to work.
- You can get through it. Stay away from people that are always complaining. There are those types everywhere that spend so much time complaining about everything they have to do, and they could have been spending that time doing what they were complaining about. Be careful because many times this will rub off on you. Stick around with positive people. Everyone gets down now and again, but I’m talking about the folks that go on and on.
- The week before I took my NCLEX test I put sticky notes all over my house. These notes reminded me that I could pass my test, the power of positive reinforcement.
Here are some last minute tips for your finals.
- It’s not too late to make a plan. Contrary to popular belief you need sleep. But you can schedule out 18 hours or so. When you make the plan stick to it.
- Take breaks – at least ten or fifteen minutes every two or three hours.
- When do you learn best? What time of day? Study the subjects you’re having trouble with during those times.
- Good luck!